Thursday, December 2, 2010

Recipe: Butternut Squash & Chicken

Two nights ago, we threw some cut up (already cut up from Super Store) butternut squash in the oven along with our sweet potato fries.  Squash fries are actually really yummy!  (Clearly, you can't expect the squash to get crispy in any way)  Sprinkled with garlic salt, salt, pepper and Montreal Steak Spice...it was a great combination!

Anyway, I had left over squash to use last night for supper and finally had some boneless chicken to cook.  Chicken is always the most expensive thing for us to pick up at the grocery store.  If only I ate red meat....grocery bills including meat would be so much easier!

After visiting my friend, Google, and typing in the words "butternut squash" and "chicken", I found this from Chatelaine.

Ingredients
- 1 1/2 boneless chicken breasts, but into strips (not pieces)
- 1 tsp of cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp of garlic salt
- vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup of chicken broth (Brand:  Organics Biologique)
- Remainder of butternut squash (it calls for 3 cups, but I'd say I had 2 cups)
- Leek:  The recipe called for 1 green onion, so I thinly sliced a leek to be about the same amount

What To Do
1.  Cover chicken with cinnamon and garlic salt.  Cook in pan and remove (place in tin foil so it doesn't get cold).
2.  Pour broth in pan and add squash.  Let it simmer/cook for 8 - 10 minutes until you can lightly mash pieces of the squash until it absorbs all of broth.
3.  In the last minute, add in leeks.

While I was doing all of this, I had put basmati rice in my rice cooker.  The recipe called for more squash and more chicken, but I used less and served it on rice.  Very different (but good) to have sweet for supper! Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment