Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Veggie Goodness Soup


This post was originally going to be a Meatless Mondays post. I made this on Monday for that very purpose. It's now much later into the week so we'll call it - A Very Notable Vegetarian Option For Any Day Of The Week.


Okay. So now that's I've sort-of acknowledged that I haven't blogged in over a week (*giant tear!), I will just move on. I promised myself I would remove all pressure surrounding blog posts and the social media life that follows suit. I also have a lot of blog posts from other awesome people to get caught up on! When your an adult, time just seems to fly by, doesn't it?


When you're having a non-stop week or a week where your brain just won't shut off, it's so important to at least stop for a moment in your day to enjoy moments like this ---->


Seriously. You can't stop to smell the roses in the winter, but you can get some furbaby (and hubby) love. Just as good, if not way better.

Side Note: The other day I tweeted about Gili eating a piece of artichoke and spinach and I think it's the most people-I-didn't-already-know have tweeted back! Funny how we all appreciate the little quirks of our wee little animals. It was a riot to see how many strange things our pets get into. I so want to set up a webcam in the house while we're not home to see what actually goes on. I assume it's mostly sleep, but who knows... I'm not a crazy cat lady (I swear!). I'm just a crazy animal lady. If I had a pet toad, I'd tell you about him, too.


This soup.

I didn't feel like spending a lot of time over the stove on Monday, but did have the time to lightly monitor something while I continued to work. I've had Bob's Red Mill Vegi Soup Mix in my pantry for eons. I've never tried it, although I felt it would be good to have on hand because the ingredients are all great. You can definitely eat the soup on it's own, without adding extra ingredients. You can also make a cream-based soup with this.

We had some swiss chard stems to use up (because all swiss chard recipes seem to only call for the leaves...) so I thought I would give this a go on my own.

Veggie Goodness Soup with a base of Bob's Red Mill Vegi Soup Mix
From Allie's Kitchen

2 cups of Bob's Red Mill Vegi Soup Mix (organic aisle, it comes in a clear bag)
1 cup of frozen corn
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
1/4 of a red onion, chopped
1 medium sweet potato, chopped in 1/2 inch cubes
2/3 to 1 cup of swiss chard stems, chopped in 1/2 inch cubes
8 tsp of vegetable bouillon powder (or the equivalent of whatever bouillon or broth you use to match water quantity)
8 cups of water
1 tbsp of mixed herbs (fresh, or squeezable fridge herbs)
Season with: Italian spices, salt and pepper

1. In a large soup pot, bring 2 cups of the soup mixture to boil with 8 cups of water + 8 tsp of bouillon (or just 8 cups of broth). Once it reaches boiling, let simmer.
2. Meanwhile, prepare the garlic, onion, swiss chard stems and sweet potato. Saute on high for approximately 8 minutes. (*Look at the color!!!*)
3. Once the soup has been simmering for approximately 30 minutes, add in corn and the sauteed mixture.
4. Continue to let simmer for another 30 minutes.
5, Season as you wish and enjoy!

Note:
-This made a lot of soup. If you divided this in half, you would still have leftovers. We wanted this to last for the week.
- As the soup contains lentils, barley and pasta, the water will absorb in the fridge and the color won't be the prettiest. Don't be shy, though, you can add a wee bit of water to your bowl before re-heating if to make it soup-y again OR just eat the mush like I've been doing. It is SO filling and delicious!


Print this recipe
~~~~~
How has everyone been doing? It's nice to see that I've finally reached a point where I still get the odd page view on days when I don't blog. It used to be that I would not post anything and would receive ZERO views!


More updates to come soon.... Love, Allie Pin It

1 comment:

  1. haha cats eat weird stuff. one of mine LOVES tortilla chips. he sticks his paw in the bag and drags them out so he can eat them!

    ReplyDelete